The 2018 competition year is off and racing with several new members joining the ranks for the first comp of the year. Conditions were quite challenging with some members opting to pass this month. See Briggsy’s report for all the details. (The next comp is Sunday 4th March. Don’t forget next comp there will be no beach BBQ as we are going to the Shaws Bay Hotel from 2:00pm onwards following the comp.)
Your new 2018 committee has been elected, see the President’s inaugural address below for names of all the elected officers and his vision for the coming year.
Our social calendar has been listed on the web site, see the social scene for the full year calendar. We’ve planned a few more family-oriented events this year so we hope to see all those with kids come along and join in the fun.
Looking forward to a fun year! See you in the surf!
Chris Bull – Secretary
Welcome to incoming President Bruce Wilson, here Bruce gives us his vision for the coming year… Ed
Bruce’s vision for 2018 is to “Bring back the fun, have more rewards, broaden the appeal, and raise awareness!”
The committee reviewed last year’s events, identified problems, and proposed improvements to be adopted:
- Bring back the fun
- Always run comps, only postpone/cancel comps if unsafe
- Allow 30 minute heats when conditions suit
- Try a closer away comp at Evans Head
- Music on the beach (MM to source a boom box)
- Winter start time of 7:30am for 8:00am
- Increase the appeal of membership
- Membership includes T-Shirt, cap, stubbie cooler, and sticker with club signage.
- Improve the judging
- Appoint a spotter to alert judges to surfers taking off.
- Move judges towards the point to avoid vision impaired by sun glare. Perhaps provide a judging tent near the point.
- Overseas trip and Evans Head away trip plus trips looking at up to 2 hours travelling time for weekends away.
- Broaden appeal to families. In the past social events tend to always be at restaurants on Saturday nights, plan some child friendly venues such as at Missingham Bridge Park (free sausage sizzle) , Shaws Bay Hotel on a Sunday after comps.
- Raise awareness
- Advertising of events on Paradise FM
- Bunnings BBQ fund raisers. MM to investigate with Bunnings.
- Move post event BBQs down to the beach
The following positions were elected at the recent AGM:
|Position||Nomination||Nominated By||Seconded By||Motion Carried|
|President||Bruce Wilson||Ed Riordan||Marg Bryant||Unanimously|
|Vice President||Paul Abbott||Bruce Wilson||Ed Riordan||Unanimously|
|Captain||Bill Webster||Ed Riordan||Bruce Wilson||Unanimously|
|Vice Captain||Mick Calnan||Eric Walker||Chris Bull||Unanimously|
|Secretary/Public Officer||Chris Bull||Bruce Wilson||Mark Muszynski||Unanimously|
|Treasurer||Mark Muszynski||Bruce Wilson||Ed Riordan||Unanimously|
|Social||Kerry Wilcox||Jan Webster||Chris Bull||Unanimously|
|“||Jan Webster||Kerry Wilcox||Chris Bull||Unanimously|
|“||Marg Bryant||Phil Calnan||Chris Bull||Unanimously|
|Caterer||Decision made to nominate a volunteer on the day of the competition to avoid wastage when comps are postponed.|
|Ordinary Member||Jonathan Hanley||Chris Bull||Bruce Wilson||Unanimously|
|Chris Bull||Bruce Wilson||Unanimously|
Congratulations to all the new committee members, we look forward to a fun year of surfing great waves!
Our new roving reporter Briggsie reports on the last comp…Ed
The Spirit of the ANZACS lived on for the first Mal comp of 2018.
As it looked, so it was, Shite! Rips, big water movements, wind and rain all combined to make a memorable but forgettable session.
Mastering the conditions best and the occasional ride-able wave were:
- 1sts – Johnny Hanley, Matt Hanley, and that old sly sea dog, Phil Geraghty
- 2nds – Mick Callan, Col Harper, and Bill Webster
- 3rds – Will Haylock, Ed Riordan, and Chris Bull
- 4ths – Andrew Russell, Troy Jennner, and Jan Webster
All participants deserve a medal, conditions can only get better throughout the year. Great to see some club spirit. Welcome to the new members, pleasing to see some new blood.
C u all next month on Sunday 4th March.
Briggsie [your beach-side correspondent]
PS. Pikers on the morning were duly noted and extra duties will be assigned by the committee.
Our 2018 Social Calendar has been sorted. Throughout this year we have three events at major sponsor Cherry St Sports, one event at sponsor Cafe @ Lennox, plus two family friendly events:
- 4/3/18 – Post comp social at the Shaws Bay Hotel for an arvo’ of food & music
- 7/101/8 – Post comp social at Missingham Bridge park for a club BBQ and get-together.
For events where seating needs to be booked our social committee will be taking numbers at the comp the week before the event.
|January 2018||February 20184/2/2018: Club round (7am) & AGM||March 20184/3/2018: Club round (7am) then Shaws Bay Hotel (2pm)|
|April 20181/4/2018: Easter Sunday
8/4/2018: Club round (8am)
14/4/2018: Dinner @ Cherry St Bowlo (6pm)
|May 20186/5/2018: Club Round (8am)
13/5/2018: Mother’s Day
19/5/2018 – 20/5/2018: weekend away Evans Head
|June 20183/6/2018: Club round (8am)
9/6/2018 – 10/6/2018: Wrecks & Relics Noosa
|July 201830/6/2018: Function @ Coast Café (tbc)
1/7/2018: Club Round (8am
|August 20185/8/2018: Club round (8am)||September 20182/9/2018: Father’s Day
9/9/2018: Club round (8am)
15/9/2018: Dinner @ Cherry St Bowlo (6pm)
|October 20187/10/2018: Club round (7am) then BBQ @ Missingham Bridge (4pm)||November 20184/11/2018: Club round (7am)||December 20182/12/2018: Club round (7am)
8/12/2018: EOY Presentation @ Cherry St Bowlo (4pm).
8/12/18: Cheery St Sports – Dinner from 6:00pm.
Still trying to get someone to fill this spot!